15 Success Rules to Live By
By Dr. Robert Anthony
(1) Get and stay out of your comfort zone. Not much happens of any significance when we’re in our comfort zone. I hear people say, “But I’m concerned about security.” My response to that is simple: “Security is for the insecure.”
(2) Never give up. Sometimes things don’t work the first time you try them. Just because what you’re doing does not seem to be working doesn’t mean it won’t work, it just means that it might not work the way you’re doing it. Try a different approach.
(3) When you’re ready to quit, you’re closer than you think. There’s an old Chinese saying that I just love, and I believe it is so true. It goes like this: “The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed.”
(4) Accept the worst and expect the best. With regard to whatever worries you, you need to accept the worst thing that could happen, and make it a point to quantify what the worst thing could be. The actual worst consequence is rarely as bad as the “imagined consequence.” More importantly, expect the best because that’s what will happen most of the time.
(5) Focus on what you want to have happen. Most people focus on what they don’t want to happen. Whatever you focus on is where you will end up. If you focus on what you don’t want to happen you will attract what you don’t want. If you focus on what you do want to happen that’s where you will end up.
(6) Take things one day at a time. No matter how difficult your situation is, you can get through it if you don’t look too far into the future and instead focus on the present moment. You can get through anything one day at a time.
(7) Always be moving forward. Never stop improving yourself, your career, your business. Never stop doing something new. More importantly never stop doing what you CAN do today. The moment you stop improving, your dream starts to die. Make it your goal to be better each and every day, in some small way. Remember the Japanese concept of Kaizen. Small daily improvements eventually result in huge advantages.
Keep Reading for the Final 8 Success Rules to Live By…
Free Book: Want to Make Your Mind
(8) Decide and get moving! Remember what General George S. Patton said: “A good plan executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow.”
(9) Measure everything. I swear this is true. Anything that is measured and watched improves.
(10) Anything that is ignored will deteriorate. If you want to uncover problems you don’t know about, take a few moments and look closely at the areas you haven’t examined for a while.
(11) Don’t get discouraged by the progress of others or what they are doing. When you look at what other people have it may seem perfect. However, remember that everything looks perfect at a distance.
(12) Never let anybody tell you what to do – unless they have done it themselves. Taking advice from people who have not accomplished what you desire is foolish. If they have not done it themselves, how can they possibly give you the right advice?
(13) Never expect life to be fair. Life doesn’t always seem fair. Always remember that you make your own breaks.
(14) Solve your own problems. You’ll find that by coming up with your own solutions, you’ll develop a competitive edge. There’s also an old Asian saying that I remind myself of frequently. It goes like this: “A wise man keeps his own counsel.”
(15) Don’t take yourself too seriously. Lighten up. There’s always a reason to smile. Find it. After all, you’re really lucky just to be alive. Life is short. Remember this: “We’re not here for a long time; we’re here for a good time.”
“Thank you Kristen for the vital reminder.
Here is a great 3-step system I created to help you integrate these 15 powerful success rules into your life so this becomes your new habitual way of living…
First: Take 1 week for each of the Success Rules and decide to have it be your focus for that whole week.
Second: For whichever Success Rule you are working with, wake up every morning of that week and put that success rule in the form of a “How can I” question.
- Example: “How can I get out of my comfort zone today?”
Third: For whichever Success Rule you are working with, end each day with a quick review question to help you celebrate your WINS.
- Example: “How did I get out of my comfort zone today?”